The Pupil Premium is additional funding for publicly funded schools in England. It is designed to help disadvantaged pupils of all abilities to perform better and close the gap between them and their peers. Funding is based on children registered for a free school meal. It is very important that we make sure all those who qualify are actually registered.
Your child may be entitled to receive free school meals if you are entitled to receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
To apply, please call: 0300 1237021 or apply online
What happens next?
Your entitlement will begin on the day your application is approved by the Customer Contact Centre, not the date you become eligible to any of the stated benefits. Claims will NOT be backdated. A letter of entitlement will be sent to the school.
Until school receives confirmation of your childs' entitlement, any school meals taken would be charged at the current daily rate.