Quarantine / Isolation Work - Reception 2020 - 2021
Isolation Activities - January
Hello Reception children and your families!
While you are not in school, we have found some fun things for you to do! We will miss you and we look forward to seeing you when you come back.
The activities below are suggestions based on what we have been doing in school, and will provide practise and build on the skills the children have been learning.
Phonics, Reading and Writing
- play this game to help recognise sounds in words and to put these sounds together (blending) to work out what the word says. Then choose the correct matching picture.
- play fast fingers using your sound mat - adult says a sound and child has to quickly find it on the sound mat, then tell the adult how to write it using the rhyme (printed on the weekly sound sheets sent home)
- practise writing the sounds we have learned - remember to say the rhymes to remind you about how to write the letters.
- practise writing your name - use your name card to help and remember to say the rhymes to remind you about how to write the letters.
- play I spy
- draw a picture and write a label or caption - eg if your child draws a picture of a favourite toy, they can hear sounds to write what it is - eg: dInasu, munki, treyn, etc. Remind your child to use their sound mat to help them remember any sounds they struggle with.
- help your grown up to write a shopping list or list of jobs they need to do - eg bred, milk or milc, butr, etc Remind your child to use their sound mat to help them remember any sounds they struggle with.
- login to Bug Club for a new reading book. When reading with your child, talking about the pictures before you read is essential as it will support your child in learning new vocab and sounding out new words. Point out the new sounds and tricky words listed on the inside cover before you start to read.
- Practise writing the numbers 1-5 correctly. Remember where we start when writing them.
- Get out different objects in groups of up to 10 – eg 5 cars, 7 spoons etc. Encourage your child to count them correctly, moving each object as they count it.
- Get out different objects in groups of to 10 – eg 5 cars, 7 spoons etc. Encourage your child to count how many in a group and tell you how many there are. Then, ask how many there would be if we put one more. If needed, put another in the group and encourage your child to recount accurately. Reinforce the concept by looking at a numberline (either online or write the numbers 1-10 in a line for your child to see) Ask your child to point to the number counted and jump to the number that is one more. Repeat the activity for other numbers.
- Do the same activity as above, but this time taking one away to find the number that is one less.
- White Rose Maths provide home learning activities which are updated daily. Their suggested activities can be found here: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/early-years/alive-in-5-week-1/
Expressive Arts and Design
- If you have paper and pens or pencils, draw a picture of something and see if you can colour it in using the right colours - if it is a person, how can you make it look like them? Have you got the hair looking the same - is it long or short? Curly or straight? Think about the lines you use when you draw and how you can change a line to make the shape that you need. Remember to use short lines when you are colouring in, that will help you stay inside the lines.
- Get out something to build with - eg lego, bricks or anything your grown up will let you use in the house, and build a model. Talk to your grown up about what you have used for different parts of your model and tell them why. Take a photo of your model or draw a picture of it and write a caption or label.
Physical Development and Listening
Take part in some Cosmic Kids Yoga activities:
Joe Wickes has lots of PE sessions on his you tube channel. You can find some here:
Quarantine / Isolation Work - Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Quarantine / Isolation Work - Reception: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Quarantine / Isolation Work - Reception: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display